Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Bullies

A few weeks ago, on a mailing list for aspie women, someone once said a few weeks ago that when you have any kind of a disability, and are trying to access resources created for those with disabilities, the biggest roadblocks(read: bullies, ignoramuses) are the people working within the community, trying to help people who need the resources actually get them.  I know that this is true; once, when I called an autism society when I was living in a different city, trying to find a second job, the woman who answered the phone told me that I should just tell them that I have Asperger's and "maybe" they would have sympathy on me and try me out.  Of course, an employer having sympathy on me doesn't mean they'll hire me.  Needless to say, I didn't really know the meaning of the word gobsmacked until that moment.
Maybe I'm just a whiner.  I have been accused of being a pessimist before, but still, to this aspie, there really does seem to be more support groups for parents of aspies than for adult aspies.  Puzzling, since aspie kids generally turn into aspie adults.  But than, maybe by the time the new crop of aspie kids turn into aspie adults, all the bullies and ignoramuses will be fired, there won't be anymore idiots volunteering/working for autism societies anymore......and this current recession will finally be over.  I mean really over.

No comments:

Post a Comment